I am loving my journey of discovery with essential oils. I am often amazed at how quickly they work as a powerful natural medicine, and how the results can often be life changing.
Even more incredible is our body's ability to heal itself, provided we give ourselves the right tools: good wholefood nutrition, adequate rest, moderate exercise, reduced toxins, meditation and that we have positive relationships.
Sometimes this healing process can take time. The wonderful thing about essential oils is that often they help to fast track us to wellness and they can make the journey easier and fun.
I want to look at this in more detail, in particular how essential oils can affect our mood.
Let’s face it, if we feel happy, we are motivated to achieve so much more. Happiness can have a profound health benefits. Stress on the other hand, can have a detrimental impact on our health, wellbeing and longevity. Indeed, one of the characteristics of centenarians is their ability to cope well with stress.
So how can essential oils help us cope better with stress? Let’s consider how essential oils affect our emotions.
Essential oils are volatile aromatic compounds extracted from plants. When we inhale
aromas, our nose channels these odours to smell receptors located on the edge of our brains at the top of the nose. These receptors go straight into our limbic system—the part of the brain that deals with feelings of happiness and pleasure.
The limbic system is also in charge of our memory and emotions. Our “scent memories” have the power to trigger memories of a past event, eliciting the same guttural emotional response.
Essential oils contain aldehydes and esters that can be very calming and sedating to the central nervous system. These substances allow us to relax instead of letting anxiety build up in our body.
Certain smell molecules cause the brain to behave in certain ways. For example, dopamine molecules tell it to release 'happy hormones' the ones that make us feel good.
When we encounter an emotionally challenging situation, diffusing essential oils, or applying them topically (either to the soles of the feet, wrists or back of the neck) can help us cope better.
A great reference to using essential oils in helping us manage our emotions is Emotional Healing and Essential Oils
by Daniel Macdonald.
According to Daniel, there are 5 stages of healing which take place in just about every circumstance:
1. Physical healing
2. Healing the heart
3. Releasing limiting beliefs
4. Increasing spiritual awareness and connection
5. Inspiring the fulfilment of our life's purpose
Some examples of how essential oils can help with emotional healing include:
- AGITATION: Bergamot, Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Geranium, Juniper, Lavender, Myrrh, Marjoram, Rose, Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood
- ANGER: Thyme, Geranium, Bergamot, Roman Chamomile, Frankincense, Lavender, Lemon, Marjoram, Myrrh, Wild Orange, Rose, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang, Patchouli
- ANXIETY: Basil, Wild Orange, Roman Chamomile, Ylang Ylang, Lavender, Bergamot
- APATHY: Lemongrass, Vetiver, Lime, Frankincense, Geranium, Marjoram, Jasmine, Orange, Peppermint, Rose, Sandalwood, Thyme, Ylang Ylang
- ARGUMENTATIVE: Lavender, Roman chamomile, Frankincense, Jasmine, Wild Orange, Thyme, Ylang Ylang
- CONCENTRATION: Peppermint, Cypress, Lavender, Lemon, Basil, Helichrysum, Myrrh, Orange, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang
- CONFIDENCE: Bergamot, Cassia, Roman Chamomile, Lavender
- CONFUSION: Clary Sage, Lemon, Cypress, Peppermint, Frankincense, Geranium, Ginger, Jasmine, Rose, Rosemary, Basil, Sandalwood, Thyme, Ylang Ylang
- DEPRESSION: Frankincense, Peppermint, Melissa, Lemon, Sandalwood, Geranium, Lavender, Orange, Grapefruit, Ylang Ylang, Bergamot, Roman Chamomile, Vetiver, Patchouli
- DESPAIR: Clary Sage, Frankincense, Lavender, Geranium, Lemon, Wild Orange, Lemongrass, Peppermint, Spearmint, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Thyme, Ylang Ylang, Melissa, Bergamot
- DISCOURAGEMENT: Bergamot, Cedarwood, Frankincense, Geranium, Lavender, Lemon, Wild Orange, Sandalwood
- FEAR: Cassia, Cinnamon, Lavender, Bergamot, Clary Sage, Roman Chamomile, Cypress, Geranium, Marjoram, Myrrh, Orange, Sandalwood, Rose, Ylang Ylang
- FORGETFULNESS: Roman Chamomile, Frankincense, Rosemary, Basil, Sandalwood, Peppermint, Thyme, Ylang Ylang
- FRUSTRATION: Roman Chamomile, Geranium, Clary Sage, Frankincense, Ginger, Lavender, Lemon, Orange, Peppermint, Thyme, Ylang Ylang,
- GRIEF/SORROW: Bergamot, Roman Chamomile, Clary Sage, Eucalyptus,Lavender
- GUILT: Roman Chamomile, Cypress, Lemon, Marjoram, Geranium, Frankincense, Sandalwood, Spruce, Rose, Thyme, Bergamot, Peppermint
- IRRITABILITY: All oils except Eucalyptus, Peppermint, Black Pepper
- JEALOUSY: Bergamot, Eucalyptus, Frankincense, Lemon, Marjoram, Orange, Rose, Rosemary, Thyme, Cinnamon
- MOOD SWINGS: Bergamot, Clary Sage, Sage, Geranium, Fennel, Lavender, Peppermint, Rose, Jasmine, Rosemary, Lemon, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang
- OBSESSIVENESS: Clary Sage, Cypress, Geranium, Lavender, Marjoram, Rose, Sandalwood, Ylang Ylang, Helichrysyum
- PANIC: Bergamot, Roman Chamomile, Frankincense, Lavender, Marjoram, Wintergreen, Myrrh, Rosemary, Sandalwood, Thyme, Ylang Ylang
- RESENTMENT: Jasmine, Rose, Blue Tansy
- SHOCK: Helichrysum, Basil, Roman Chamomile, Myrrh, Ylang Ylang, Rosemary
- STRESS: Ylang Ylang, Basil, Frankinsense, Peppermint, Vetiver
I recommend and use doTERRA essential oils because of their purity. To find out more about the healing benefits of Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG) Essential Oils click here
, and to purchase visit www.mydoterra/tanyamaidment.com
or email firstname.lastname@example.org
to find out how you can purchase at wholesale (25% retail prices).
The information in this blog is intended for education purposes only, the statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration (FDA) or Theraputic Good Association (TGA). These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness or injury should consult with a medical practitioner. These suggested uses applu only to certified Pure Theraputic Grade (CPTG) Doterra Essential Oils.
Daniel Mcdonald, Emotions and Essential Oils
Aroma Tools, Modern Essentials Guide to the Therapeutic use of Essential Oils