Essential Oil Cooking Tips
As a busy working mum of two, I’m always looking for some quick, easy and healthy ways to add flavour to our meals. Cooking with essential oils provides a great solution to this!
Because they are so concentrated, essential oils are up to 70 times more potent than the herbs or plants they are derived from, and have many health benefits. Here are some ideas on how you can incorporate them into a variety of recipes for both cooked and raw foods.
- Which oils are safe to use for cooking? Only use 100% Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade essential oils and read instructions before using oils.
- For stronger spice oils - such as basil, oregano, marjoram, coriander, rosemary or thyme, dip a toothpick in a bottle of essential oil and stir it in the recipe after cooking. This is a wonderful way to flavour food, but can be overpowering if too much essential oil is used.
- For citrus oils, add 2 or 3 drops of lemon, lime or wild orange just before serving, so that the oil does not evaporate.
- Avoid using a microwave oven! A study by Dr. Radwan Farag of Chairo University showed that just 2 seconds of microwave energy destroys all enzymes in the food and alters the frequency of the food. Heating proteins in the microwave oven for 10 minutes or more may create a new, harmful type of protein. If food is microwaved in plastic dishes or covered with plastic, plastic molecules may contaminate the food.
- Salad dressings: Lemon, lime, wild orange;
- Meat and sauces: Basil, rosemary, cilantro, marjoram, thyme, lemongrass or black pepper;
- Cakes and fruit pies: Lemon, lime, wild orange, tangerine or peppermint;
- Raw chocolate: Peppermint, cinnamon, ginger, wild orange, lime. Click here for some delicious raw chocolate recipes;
- Herbal teas: Lavender, rosemary, ginger, lemon, wild orange, cinnamon or peppermint added to hot (not boiling) water;
- Cool refreshing drinks: Lemon, lime, wild orange, peppermint added to cold water.
Some Health Benefits of Essential Oils
Many essential oils documented benefits including:
- Cilantro: Supports healthy digestion, encourages an active immune system
- Oregano: Provides powerful antioxidant support, supports healthy liver function, digestive system and immune function
- Basil: Supports gastrointestinal health and function, and healthy immune response
- Black Pepper: Supports healthy blood sugar levels in the normal range, healthy metabolism and liver function
- Ginger: May help to reduce bloating, gas, and occasional indigestion along with occasional nausea
- Lemon Grass: Supports healthy gastrointestinal function and maintains healthy digestion
- Lemon: Naturally cleanses the body and aids in digestion and promotes healthy functioning of the GI tract
- Lime: Supports gastrointestinal function and health, relieves occasional heartburn and indigestion, and may support the health of the colon
- Wild Orange: Contains powerful antioxidants, supports a healthy immune system
- Clove: Helps to quench free radicals and maintain a healthy immune system, supports cardiovascular health
- Cinnamon: Supports the health of the urinary tract and kidneys, supports cardiovascular and circulatory health
- Thyme: Highly anti-bacterial, anti-septic, anti-viral, anti-fungal
- Rosemary:Supports healthy digestion and healthy internal organ function
- Grapefruit: Supports a healthy metabolism
Further information on the Top 10 essential oils can be found
For my ‘Raw Chocolate Treats’ e-book with yummy raw chocolate recipes, click
to find out about upcoming events, both live and on line, sign up for my newsletter
.how I use essential oils for our health and happiness
If you’d like to learn more about
, why not pop over to my GreenLifeOrganics Facebook Page
or our online community GreenLifeOils
. Or, in the meantime, you can request some free samples
to get you started or click here
for step by step ordering instructions. If you are not sure where to start then contact me on +44 (0)7557337363 or firstname.lastname@example.org
for a free 20 min wellness consultation.Disclaimer
The information in this blog is intended for education purposes only, the statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration (FDA) or Theraputic Good Association (TGA). These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness or injury should consult with a medical practitioner. THESE SUGGESTED USES APPLY ONLY TO CERTIFIED PURE THERAPEUTIC GRADE (CPTG) DOTERRA ESSENTIAL OILS.