I’ve been diffusing essential oils for a few years now and I often wonder how I ever managed without them! As a Mum of two young children, I’m always looking at ways to help care for them naturally and I LOVE my treasure chest of essential oils! We use them every day for so many different things. My daughter now has a diffuser in her room to ‘keep the monsters away’ and it seems to be helping! She started having night terrors a few weeks ago and would wake up in the night crying, confused and disorientated. Since we started diffusing lavender, wild orange and a blend called Serenity
, the nightmares have stopped, and thankfully the monsters and spiders are staying away……..
Aromatherapy has been used for thousands of years. The Egyptians, Romans, and the Greeks, used essential oils. Many studies have been completed on the health benefits of diffusing essential oils including increasing atmospheric oxygen and reducing airborne bacteria and viruses.
As well as air purification, essential oils can provide emotional support. Improving mood can help with productivity, and cleansing the air can reduce the amount of sick days at school or in the office.
Since we have been using essential oils in my family, we very rarely get sick. At the first sign of a sniffle or scratchy throat, we use a powerful anti-viral and anti-bacterial blend called On Guard
(aromatically in the diffuser, topically on soles of feet, and often internally in a hot drink or mouth gargle). The sniffles or sore throat usually disappear in 12-48 hours! My two children very rarely miss school due to sickness. As a busy working Mum, I really don’t have time to get sick!Sickness in the workplace
This can have a significant impact on productivity and a high cost to the Australian economy. Some Australian statistics from Medibank include:
- Healthy employees are nearly three times more productive than unhealthy employees1
- Unhealthy employees take up to nine times more sick leave than their healthy colleagues1
- Poor employee health and absenteeism is costing Australian business $7 billion annually1
- Workplace stress is costing the Australian economy $14.81 billion a year2
- 3.2 days per worker are lost each year through workplace stress2
- In 2009/10, the total cost of presenteeism3 to the Australian economy was estimated to be $34.1 billion4
- On average, 6.5 working days of productivity are lost per employee annually as a result of presenteeism4
- The cost of presenteeism to the economy is estimated at nearly four times the cost of absenteeism4
Imagine a small, cost effective device that can emit a powerful antibacterial and antiviral agent throughout the day that could help to reduce sickness in the home or workplace AND improve mood and productivity…….Wouldn’t that be wonderful? Imagine how different would the world be if we had such a device in every office, home, schools, hospitals……Less sickness perhaps? Happier people maybe? How about a stronger economy, even a sustainable health care system?……..It’s my dream to one day see this become a reality. Diffusers at home... Healthy happy families! Diffusers at work....healthy productive staff, happy boss! Diffusers at school.... happy focused children, HAPPY teachers!
There are a number of workplaces, schools and even hospitals that now routinely diffuse essential oils. For over two years CPTG essential oils have been diffused in the Vanderbilt Hospital Emergency Room in the Nashville Tenersee to help the staff feel better emotionally in their extremely stressful environment. The findings of the initial study were very interesting:
- Before the use of CPTG essential oils, 41% of staff members felt work-related stress very often. After the use of CPTG essential oils, only 3% felt work related stress very often.
- 84% of the staff strongly agree that the use of CPTG essential oils creates a better work environment!
You can read about the study here, and watch a YouTube clip here
Here are some reasons why I diffuse essential oils at home:
……I love walking into my lounge room to the smell of citrus fruit: lemons, oranges, lime. Its uplifting for the whole family!
……I love diffusing wild orange and frankincense in my office to help me focus and ‘get the job done’!
……I love being able to help ‘keep the monsters away’ from my little girl at night time by diffusing lavender oil in her bedroom!
I love diffusing so much that I have written a handbook on Diffusing Essential Oils. The handbook explains how essential oils work, how to diffuse oils effectively and which essential oils to use for best results both in the classroom and the office in order to
increase productivity and reduce the risk of sickness.
You can download a copy for FREE here.
to hear what you think of the handbook or if you have any diffusing stories to share, especially for schools or the workplace.
It’s worth noting that I use DoTERRA CPTG
(Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade) Essential Oils because of their purity and potency. Many of the DoTERRA oils are food grade and safe to ingest. To find out more about the DoTERRA oils and diffusers click
The information in this blog is intended for education purposes only, the statements have not been evaluated by the food and drug administration (FDA) or Therapeutic Goods Association (TGA). These products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease. Anyone suffering from any disease, illness or injury should consult with a medical practitioner. These suggested uses apply only to certified Pure Therapeutic Grade (CPTG) Doterra Essential Oils.
1. The Health of Australians Workforce 2005:
2. The Cost of Workplace Stress in Australia 2008:
3. Presenteeism is defined as the productivity that is lost when employees come to work but, as a consequence of illness or other medical conditions, are not fully productive. Employees who work when ill are more prone to injury and, if contagious, increase the risk of passing on an illness to other employees. Presenteeism is harder to identify and quantify than absenteeism. However, the cost of presenteeism to businesses and the economy is estimated to be greater.
4. Sick at Work: The cost of presenteeism to your business and the economy. July 2011:
Looking for more info? Send me a message and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. Looking forward to chatting with you!
Thank you! I'll be in touch by email shortly.