Even though the sun is coming out in the UK at last, the school summer holiday season will be here before we know it. Are you looking forward to a family holiday away to relax, have fun, and spend time together? If you are, then why not consider taking some summertime essential oils with you, for minor injuries and ailments that happen even at the best of times?
Why take essential oils away on holiday?
As you probably know, many essential oils have powerful properties so they’re the perfect items for a small, portable travel first aid kit. And as they come in very small bottles, they’re luggage friendly too, even if you’re only taking cabin bags. However, it’s still worth considering which are the most useful ones to take on holiday.
Before we look at which essential oils I’d recommend taking away with you, here are a few travel tips for when you’re away from home, especially overseas:
- Be very mindful of what you eat and drink.
- Use purified water for brushing teeth.
- NEVER drink the tap water and check ice cubes and fruit juices are made with purified water.
- Make sure food is freshly prepared, cooked thoroughly, and only eat fruit that you can peel or wash with purified water.
- ALWAYS sanitise your hands before eating – we love doTERRA’s On Guard foaming hand wash and also make up a spray bottle of On Guard oil and water (or use the On Guard Sanitising Hand Mist) for times when running water isn’t available (such as on bus trips).
My “must have” essential oils travel and first aid kit
Because many essential oils need to be diluted when using topically, the first item in any kit should be a bottle of Fractionated Coconut Oil. As well as being a carrier oil, it’s brilliant for soothing dry skin and chapped lips, and removing makeup, so its a really useful multi-purpose holiday product.
Next, here are a few of my go-to essential oil singles:
- Clove (for soothing pains, insect repellent)
- Frankincense (for calming and grounding, aching heads, sore and swollen bodies, and supporting healing)
- Geranium (for insect repellent, skin healing, and perfume)
- Ginger (for occasional travel sickness and digestion support)
- Helichrysum (for assisting with skin irritations or blemishes and to soothe the effects of a little too much sun)
- Lavender (for insect bites, minor burn relief, skin irritations and sleeping assistance)
- Melaleuca/Tea Tree (insect bites and minor injury support)
- Peppermint (for cooling from internal or external heat, occasional stomach upsets)
And here are some of my favourite essential oil blends:
- AromaTouch® Massage Blend (for minor aches and pains)
- Breathe® (Easy Air) Respiratory Blend (for respiratory support and stuffy noses)
- Balance® Grounding Blend (for calming)
- Deep Blue® (Ice Blue) Soothing Blend (for sore muscles)
- DigestZen Digestive Blend (for digestive issues and occasional stomach upsets)
- On Guard® Protective Blend (for boosting immunity)
- PastTense® Tension Blend (for head tension and sore muscles)
- TerraShield® TerraArmour Outdoor Blend (for discouraging insects)
As well as all of the above, I’d like to share my Top Ten tried and tested natural first aid travel tips that my family has used while we’ve been travelling over the years:
- Insect repellent: biting bugs do not like Geranium, Melaleuca/Tea Tree or Lavender. We found Terrashield/TerraArmour is also a great repellent!
- Insect bites: if we did get bitten by the occasional insect, then a drop of Lavender and Melaleuca/Tea Tree provided quick relief.
- Stomach upsets: DigestZen works wonders for queasy tummies.
- Minor burns: Lavender oil for minor burn relief, including the effects of the sun, as well as for dry lips. We dilute it with Fractionated Coconut Oil, or you could just add it to your after-sun lotion.
- Minor wounds: a mix of the following for their particular benefits #8211; Clove oil for minor pain relief; Helichrysum for reducing bleeding and bruising; Melaleuca to support the immune system; Lavender to promote healing.
- Cleansing hand wash: 10 drops of On Guard blend mixed with water in a small spray bottle and a pinch of Epsom salts, or the On Guard Sanitising Mist.
- Aches and pains: Deep Blue Rub and the essential oil blends of Deep Blue and AromaTouch.
- Head Tension: we use the blends of Past Tense and Deep Blue, and single oils of Lavender, Frankincense and Peppermint.
- Occasional travel sickness: both Peppermint and Ginger are excellent at reducing nauseous feelings – especially Peppermint beadlets which are easy to suck.
- Breathing difficulties: aeroplane air is often stuffy but the Breathe blend is wonderful at clearing sinuses and airways.
My ultimate holiday essential oil
If you only take one essential oil on holiday, then it has to be Lavender.
Why? Well, it’s like the Swiss Army knife of essential oils! It has great cleansing properties so ideal for first aid, it works on minor burns so it#8217;s great for skincare, it helps repel insects, and its calming properties help with travel sickness. And of course, it’s lovely to sprinkle a little in your bedroom to help you get to sleep in a strange bed.
Travelling with essential oils gives me peace of mind that we have effective first aid solutions if and when needed. But what do you think? Have you used essential oils while travelling abroad? If you have, which single oils and/or blends did you try? Which would you recommend and which would you like to try now?
We’ve used most of the above singles and blends every time we’ve gone away on holiday and I wouldn’t even think about going away without taking these wonderful, beneficial, and natural remedies with us now.
Getting your own oils
If you’d like to learn more about how I use essential oils for our health and happiness, you can request some free samples by completing the form below to get you started or click here for step by step ordering instructions. If you are not sure where to start then contact me on +44 (0) 7557337363 or email@example.com for a free 20 min wellness consultation.
If you’d like to learn more about how you can use essential oils for health and happiness, then you can join our online community GREENLIFEOILS.
if you are ready to get started CLICK HERE
for step by step ordering instructions.
Happy and healthy living!